Prompt 7: YA Literature and Graphic Novels

 



After having numerous conversations with adults and teens alike, I am a firm believer that we will do a disservice to our community if we do not include Young Adult (YA) literature, New Adult (NA) Literature, and Graphic Novels in our collections. I have watched teens become more interested readers after dipping their toes in graphic novels. For instance, I have had more than one teen read The Graveyard Book graphic novel by Neil Gaiman and then give the novel itself a try! Anything that we can do to support and encourage literacy and lifelong reading habits is so important.

As for helping adults embrace these, one of the things that I do is include YA, NA, and graphic novels in my adult book clubs. By "making" them give it a try, most end up being YA and NA fans. Many even embrace graphic novels (although this one remains a slightly harder sell in my area). Once they take a moment to analyze the materials for their characters and stories, instead of just the thought of the genre, they become more open about it. The next thing I do is include YA, NA, and graphics in book displays! 

As a long-time YA literature enthusiast and a recent graphic novel enthusiast, I am happy to talk about the wonders that exist in these genres! One of our biggest focuses is making sure that anyone who walks through our doors has representation on our shelves at our library. That cannot be the case if we ignore these popular and growing areas of our collection. Cataldi (2015) noted that new adult books have mass appeal among teens and adults alike. Just as YA books, like The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, do. To me, that makes the decision easy; our collection needs to include these materials.

Reference

 Cataldi, E. (2015). Betwixt and between: New adult fiction. The Library Journal. https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=betwixt-and-between-new-adult-fiction-collection-development-september-1-2015


Comments

  1. Hi Bobbi,

    Including the genres in your adult book clubs is a great way to get people to read them! I think the titles you mentioned from the article are wonderful examples as to how important the genres are. Where would we be if these books were not valued? I would be sad because they are so much fun to read! Do you have any recommendations for NA books that you enjoyed from one of your book clubs?

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! We would be losing out!

    Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll check that one out. I know we have some by her on our shelves.

      Delete
  3. I like when you say "One of our biggest focuses is making sure that anyone who walks through our doors has representation on our shelves at our library." Of course, it's important that the library has a variety of genres so that everyone will find something they like. When you said this, it also made me think of the growing number of YA and nonfiction graphic novels which focus on other cultures and marginalized groups. It would be a shame not to include diverse titles such as They Called Us Enemy, Persepolis, Good Talk, The Hate U Give, and Patron Saints of Nothing, to name a few, in our collections.

    I also think it's great that you make a conscious effort to include a variety of genres including YA, NA, and graphic novels in your displays. I have just started creating displays at the library where I work and, while the YA librarian makes her own displays, I will definitely be looking for more NA and graphic novel titles for mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juliana,

      I totally agree that diverse titles in all areas are important!

      Awesome! Good for you!

      Delete
  4. I think it is great you include these in your book club selections.

    I can see that graphic novels would be a harder sell - the format is just SO different that it is really an adjustment! My daughter has recently really gotten in to graphic novels. I've been flipping through them, and I feel like it takes a lot of additional concentration for me to process them. Reading a regular book and making the pictures up in my head actually feels like less work. I guess that's just because it's what I'm used to! I see you say you're a recent graphic novel enthusiast - did you find it difficult to read them at first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amber,

      In all honesty, I was so hesitant to start reading them! However, one of my staff members just kept encouraging me and I finally gave in. I ended up really enjoying them. I would recommend giving them a try!

      Delete
  5. Exactly! Wonderful prompt response - full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Young Adult Book Annotation

Prompt 10: Books From the Past to the Future

Prompt 9: Marketing