Prompt 5: eBooks and Audiobooks


I have to admit, there is something about the feel of a book in my hands that makes me happy. This is a conversation that I have held with many patrons! But out of convenience, I find e-Books and audiobooks to be great tools. I have even been known to read the same story via a physical book and an ebook at the same time. I read the physical book all day and switch to the ebook at night or when I do not want to carry the actual book. This way I can switch seamlessly between the formats that work best for me at the moment.

I personally struggled a bit with audiobooks at first. I would lose track of the story and struggle to keep track of multiple characters.  So audiobooks lost some of their appeal for me. However, I would say that even throughout this class, I have gotten better and can now listen to a book while I get things done around the house. This adds appeal because being tight on time does not mean I have to wait to dive into a good book. I can do dishes, make dinner, take out the trash and find out whodunnit. 

I have also found that I listen to books I may not have read in physical format. For instance, I just listened to Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey. I would not have chosen this book to sit and read but I thoroughly enjoyed it while I did my chores. Turns out, I am not alone. Mediatore (2003) noted that readers often chose audiobooks they would not have read otherwise.

Genre effects - Some books are known for how large they are. In ebook or audiobook format, the reader does not see or feel the length of the book. I personally enjoy the accomplishment of closing a big book. I don't get that same feeling when I close out an ebook or audiobook. 

The ability to change fonts, spacing, and text color are benefits for ebooks. If someone struggles reading a certain style font, no problem, they can change it! That being said, these changes can affect the pace of the book. If I don't feel like wearing my glasses at night, I will make the font larger on my eBook, but it definitely changes the layout of the story and potentially the flow.

For me, the narrator of an audiobook can make or break the story. The right narrator can draw you into the story but the wrong one can ruin it. I love the ability to have different voices, music, and other additions to audiobooks. However, too much can detract from the story.

At the end of the day, I am here for the story. Whatever the format, I have learned to truly enjoy the positives of the format. 

Here is a brief overview of the main pros and cons of ebooks and audiobooks: 

Pros of ebooks and audiobooks:

1) They are easier to take with you! Headed to an appointment and know you will be waiting a bit, all you need is your phone. Taking a trip, enjoy an audiobook along the way (Mediatore, 2003)!

2) The right narrator can make a story even better.

3) Readers can get other things done while they dive into an audiobook.

4) Books can be accessed from the patron's home. No trip to the library needed. This was especially helpful during the COVID pandemic when libraries were closed down (Marshall, 2020).

5) No change of fines or fees - the books are returned when they are due.

Cons of ebooks and audiobooks:

1) It doesn't feel the same! From the cover to the turn of the page to the closing of the book, there is nothing quite like reading a physical book.

2) These formats are costly, at an average of $40 industry-wide (Marshall, 2020). I can buy 2 or 3 physical books for the library for the cost of an ebook or audiobook. Adding more of these to the library is costly. Librarians are at the mercy of the publishers for these formats, an issue that recently caused librarians to speak up about costs and limits (Schwedel, 2020).

3) Some narrators can ruin a story. A bad accent, bad timing, etc. can make me turn the book off.

4) They sometimes take the book back before I am done. There is nothing more frustrating than being at the end of the book to have it taken away! I have had conversations with patrons that feel the same. Waiting through a waitlist to read the last couple of chapters is disappointing. 

5) Audiobooks make it harder to go back in the story to check on something. In a physical book, I will typically kind of know where the part I want to reread is. That is not the case for audiobooks. I've also fallen asleep listening to them and had no idea where I left off! Someone, please design a way for my audiobook to hear my breathing change and pause my audiobook! :D


References

Marshall, A. (2020, December 7). Publishers worry as ebooks fly off libraries' virtual shelves. Wired. https://www.wired.com/story/publishers-worry-ebooks-libraries-virtual-shelves/

Mediatore, K. (2003). Reading with your ears: Readers' advisory and audio books. Reference & User Services Quarterly, 42(4), 318-23. [Library & Information Science Source]

Schwedel, H. (2020, December 7). Why angry librarians are going to war with publishers over e-books. Slate. https://slate.com/business/2019/09/e-book-library-publisher-buying-controversy-petition.html

Comments

  1. I've listened to some audiobooks with terrible narration, it's both hilarious and annoying when you turn on something you've been waiting to listen to and get hit with a crackly microphone or ear-splitting feedback. It's basically a crime against humanity at that point. I'm glad you brought up the cons of audiobooks, I feel like they're not nearly explored as much as they should. Improvements are happening every year it seems, but not nearly soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Please don't ruin this otherwise wonderful story for me! I can see why audiobook lovers get to know who they like to listen to!

      Delete
  2. I love that you brought up the convenience of doing it from home (I realize now I did not mention that at all!) and the fact that there are no fines! I think that fines can be such a barrier to some patrons to the point if they know they have fines, they will stop using the library. The automated system is so convenient for patron. I know there are multiple patrons who have come to the library looking to utilize the digital resources or have such little experience that they ask a staff member to help them. I love when staff gets to sit with patrons and walk them through something new to better help their library experience and provide one on one help that allow staff to learn, as well. You always do such a great job and I appreciated your insights and easy to read list :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor,

      When I first started working at the library, I had a friend tell me she had not been to the library in 3 years because she owed over $100 in fees. I told her I would look into it. She owed less than $2! I think the amount in her mind just kept growing and felt insurmountable! So you are 100% correct in saying they will stop coming. Helping patrons with something new is such an amazing part of this job! I love it as well!

      Thanks so much for your feedback!

      Delete
  3. I read the same book in multiple formats, too especially when I really can't put them down. Sometimes I'll download the ebook on my phone if I'm sitting around a doctor's office or something without access to my physical book so I can just pick up where I left off.
    I am an avid audiobook listener, but I agree that you don't necessarily get the same feeling of accomplishment when you read a really long audiobook that you would from a big chunky book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I'm glad to know I am not the only one that format jumps! I am definitely becoming more of an audiobook fan now that I am giving it a chance!

      Delete
  4. I have trouble keeping track of the story when listening to audiobooks too. My mind wanders too much and I end up zoning out and missing crucial parts of the story. After reading the articles for this week, I might try listening to an audiobook narrated by the author. I wouldn’t choose to read Greenlights either, but listening to it in Matthew McConaughey’s voice sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda,
      It's nice to know I am not alone in the audiobook struggle lol. I want to use them so bad and I would say I am getting better at it but I still feel like I miss things sometimes.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic job breaking this down to your personal experiences AND by pros and cons. Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prompt 10: Books From the Past to the Future

Young Adult Book Annotation