Prompt 9: Marketing


Marketing our fiction section is an important part of what we do. There are a wide variety of ways to promote the items we have available. For our library, I would focus on these three:

1) Book Displays. Saricks (2005) noted that books displays with a small group of books and a descriptive sign are an effective way to promote items in our collection. Our library has designated spots for displays. We utilize different themes for each display and have books ready to check out! I particularly like the idea of a Good Books You May Have Missed cart near our desk. I will be trying this one out!

2) Annotated Book Lists. Annotated book lists that are created by our staff with books that we offer is an important resource (Saricks, 2005). For one of my previous classes, I made one for Teen Stress Relief. It included books, DVDs, programs, and kits (we had meditation kits that included the DVD and meditation pillow). These received a lot of positive feedback and we even had adults saying they wanted their own list. The effort required definitely gave us a good source for this topic. I also love the idea of quick video talks. 

3) Programs. I love tying a program to a list of materials available at the library. For instance, we did a Harry Potter Escape Room and gave participants a list of resources that matched the theme. Everything from the Harry Potter Series to a Harry Potter cookbook. Saricks (2005) reminded us that no library can afford to pass up the chance to talk books with their patrons. For this reason, I also plan to host book tastings and book clubs at the library. The book tasting is a great chance to give patrons a look at several books that may be of interest to them. Book clubs provide a forum to talk about one book specifically, however, I always bring a list of similar books with me so if they liked the one we are discussing, they can find more like it! 

4) Quick Video Talks. I love this idea so much, I had to add a fourth category! Quick talks that highlight a book is a great way to connect with readers and allow the staff to have a chance to talk about books they love (RA for All, 2020). I plan to implement this with my staff (and maybe even with some of our volunteers). I love the diversity that this approach can bring and the opportunity to share our enthusiasm with our patrons.


References

RA for All. (2020, December 7). Stock your ra pantry archive. RA for All.  http://raforall.blogspot.com/p/stock-your-ra-pantry.html

Saricks, J. (2005) Promoting and marketing readers’ advisory collections and services. Readers’ Advisory Service in the Public Library. ALA. 136-160. 

Comments

  1. Hi Bobbi,

    I really like your Teen Stress Relief book list. What a useful topic! I bet those resources were helpful to lots of teens (and their parents). I don't often see annotated book lists out at my library, so I'm curious about yours. How do you display them? Are they in some sort of holder near the desk? Or do you have a big display of different lists somewhere in the library? Do you do any kind of advertising of the lists or do patrons just happen upon them in the library and take one if they are interested?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Teen Stress Relief is the only one I've done so far! We put it into a brochure and had them out in the teen space (In a brochure display). We also had a monthly teen stress relief program (where we made bath bombs and stress relief balls) - we handed the brochures out at the program.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bobbi,

    I love that you are talking about both old and new ways you want your staff to start promoting books! I think it is great to bring books that are similar to book clubs or talks. Then patrons who really enjoyed the book can check out a new title. Great idea! I'll have to remember that if I ever host one. Do you know what your first quick video book would be?

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby,
      Great question! Hmm, I would definitely want it to be a book that I loved so my enthusiasm shines through. I have not read anything that just came out in awhile, so that limits me a bit, I suppose. But I really loved The Story of Arthur Truluv. I think I would start with that one!

      Delete
  3. Planning programs around a specific book or series is a really fun idea! I've done a few of these types of programs for kids, but this could work for adults too. I think author book signings would be really popular with adults. It could also be fun to host a nonfiction book club and bring in experts to lecture about the subject of each book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I love your nonfiction book club idea! I had not thought of anything like that! Thank you for the inspiration.

      The Harry Potter Escape room had just as many adults as kids and teens! We have had so many times that we do a program for kids and the adults are like, I want that too! LOL I love that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Young Adult Book Annotation

Prompt 10: Books From the Past to the Future