Special Paper Summary

Informational Paper: Reader's Advisory Tools

            Library staff members that participate in reader’s advisory share a common goal. As Wyatt and Saricks (2019, p. xv) put it, the goal “is to help readers discover titles they are currently in the mood to read.” This is no easy task and can be daunting for staff at any level. However, there are tools that can help guide a librarian in the search for the perfect read.

This informational paper compares some of the reader’s advisory tools available. Each tool includes an overview, a cost breakdown, and a features section, along with a screenshot of the site. Appendix A (the chart below) compiles some of the most common features for users to check for a certain feature quickly. Readers can tell what tools may be best for them based on what they are trying to accomplish. They can also determine what they are getting for the cost. 

Each of these tools offers features that reader’s advisors and readers can benefit from in the search for the next great read! For reader’s advisors, the most comprehensive tool is NoveList Plus. It offers training as well as tools. However, for readers that love a specific genre and want to focus on that, focused tools like Stop You’re Killing Me would be well suited to meet their needs.

Reader's Advisory Tool Comparison Chart

Reference

   Wyatt, N., & Saricks, J. G. (2019). The readers' advisory guide to genre fiction. ALA Editions.

Comments

  1. Hi Bobbi,

    What a great topic for your paper! Since I do not yet work in a library, I especially appreciate your chart that compares all of the tools. It's so helpful to know at a glance which tools provide readalikes, or which ones offer a newsletter. I took a screenshot of your chart to save for the future :) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,

    That's awesome! I was hoping that would be helpful! I will say, for some of those I had to search a bit to find the feature, but it was so helpful to have a handy chart! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great chart! some of these are resources I have not yet used, so it is great to see what they have available compared to other similar resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't used some of them yet either and wanted a quick way to remind myself of which site had what feature. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Bobbi,

    I just found Stop you are Killing Me last week when I was doing research for my own paper! I love that you have the forms to help patrons figure out the right RA site. Did you find out anything interesting when you were researching the different sites that took you by surprise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to sign into Blogger. This is Abby. Great post!

      Delete
    2. I loved the addition of a podcast on the Trashy Bitches site. It was a oh great idea moment!

      Delete
  5. Hi Bobbi,

    This chart is great! This could be helpful for both patrons and librarians. I hadn’t heard of a few of these. It’s helpful to be able to glance at this to see what would suit my needs. I can definitely see myself using it in the future. It also shows how many of these services have newsletters. I had no idea so many of them do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed up for a few newsletters while I was doing my research lol. I was like - yay different sources to tell me about new books that I could order for the library!

      Delete
  6. Hi Bobbi!

    I love your readers’ advisory tool comparison chart! With so many readers’ advisory tools at our disposal, it is refreshing to see a breakdown of each tool to gauge whether one wishes to use it or not. I also liked that you mentioned that readers’ advisory is “no easy task and can be daunting for staff at any level.” While I thoroughly enjoy the process of conducting a readers’ advisory, it can be very overwhelming to come up with book recommendations on the spot, especially when the patron might be pressed for time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alisha,

      I sometimes feel like I forget even my favorite author's names when I am pressed for time. :D I am glad to have tools to help me for sure!

      Delete

  7. Hi Bobbi,

    Thank you for sharing! I didn’t know about some of these sources. I’m glad to see you included the literature map. When I show that to patrons many think that it is really cool and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great graphic and amazing comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Young Adult Book Annotation

Prompt 10: Books From the Past to the Future

Prompt 9: Marketing